Calling all K-12 students! Are you ready to make a difference, share your thoughts, and influence the world? The Pulitzer Center is thrilled to unveil the 2023 Letter-Writing Contest, an exciting opportunity for young minds to express their opinions, address pressing global concerns, and encourage positive change within their communities. Through the power of persuasive writing, the contest invites you to engage in a meaningful dialogue with your local elected representatives, urging them to prioritize critical global issues that matter to you.
Unveiling the Contest Details
In an endeavor to foster global citizenship, civic action, and impeccable persuasive writing skills, the Pulitzer Center proudly presents the 2023 Letter-Writing Contest. This contest encourages K-12 students from across the globe to step up and let their voices resonate. Here’s everything you need to know:
Who Can Participate?
The contest warmly welcomes entries from current K-12 students worldwide. Whether you’re in elementary, middle, or high school, this is your platform to shine.
Languages and Categories
Feel confident expressing yourself in English or Spanish. To ensure fair judgment, entries will be evaluated separately in three categories: elementary, middle school, and high school.
Phenomenal Prizes Await!
The 2023 Letter-Writing Contest boasts a lineup of fantastic prizes that reflect the significance of your contributions:
First Place Winners (One from Each Category)
- $100 for Global Community Engagement: The first-place winners in each category will receive $100 to support global community engagement initiatives in their classrooms. This prize will be distributed to your esteemed class teacher, further amplifying the impact of your achievement.
- Publication on Pulitzer Center’s Website: Imagine seeing your winning letter, accompanied by your photo and bio, prominently featured on the Pulitzer Center’s official website. Your thoughts will be accessible to a wide audience, magnifying your influence.
Recognition for All Finalists
Even if you’re not crowned the first-place winner, your voice will still resound:
- Publication on Pulitzer Center’s Website: Every finalist will have the honor of having their letter, along with their photo and bio, showcased on the Pulitzer Center’s website. Your contribution won’t go unnoticed!
Deadline for Action
Mark your calendars! The submission deadline for the 2023 Letter-Writing Contest is Sunday, November 12, 2023, at 11:59pm EST. Don’t miss this chance to be a part of something impactful.
Crafting Your Winning Entry
Creating an entry that stands out is simpler than you think. Follow these steps to craft your letter:
- Select a Relevant News Story: Visit www.pulitzercenter.org/stories or explore the Suggested Stories tab for inspiration. Choose a news story addressing a global issue that resonates with you.
- Compose Your Letter: Draft a one-page letter addressed to a local elected representative. Your letter should include the following elements:
- Brief Global Issue Summary: Summarize the global issue you’re passionate about, citing the Pulitzer Center news story that caught your attention.
- Local Community Connection: Explain how the global issue relates to your local community or your personal experiences.
- Actionable Solution: Propose a concrete action you believe your local representative should take to address the issue or improve related conditions.
- Submission Process: Utilize the provided form to enter the contest. The form will request essential personal and contact information, the name and contact details of one of your teachers, and a direct copy/paste of your meticulously crafted letter.
- Extend Your Impact: While submitting your letter to the Pulitzer Center is essential, consider taking an extra step by sending your letter directly to your representatives. Your voice can reverberate even more powerfully when shared directly with those who hold the potential to effect change.
Let Your Words Resonate
As you embark on this exciting journey, remember that your voice holds the power to drive change. The 2023 Letter-Writing Contest by the Pulitzer Center empowers you to explore underreported global issues, embrace global citizenship, and advocate for positive transformations. Your ideas matter, your thoughts deserve recognition, and your impact can ripple far beyond your imagination. Get ready to make your voice heard and be a force for meaningful change. Start crafting your winning letter today!
For additional support, resources, and guidance while writing your letter, don’t forget to explore the Resources for Teachers and Students tab above. This is your moment to shine, and the Pulitzer Center is here to celebrate and amplify your journey towards a better world.
Unveil your passion, shape your community, and be the change you wish to see!